Friday, January 1, 2010

Very Interesting Development

While a friend was over, Mum was talking to his Dad. He said that it would be fine to have a unit that is stationary, with no connection to the internet. Mum argued that it would be easier to have live data streaming to the computer. My friend's Dad said that it is easy to have a council worker drive to the unit, and download data from it.

This is interesting as I no longer need to worry about an internet connection. The internet can be an optional add-on rather than the main logger. The internet connection would be a tack on, and not affect the original system. It would listen for data, and relay it to the internet. Simple.

My job has got a whole lot easier. Instead of having to make long range antennae, I can simply have them transmitting to the one base unit. This base unit will somehow upload data to a laptop. Be it a removable USB stick, a cable you have to plug in, a wireless setup. Who knows. Bluetooth is expensive, and hard to use. WiFi would be completely new (not including the router). The HopeRF is an option. If I put a USB to serial adapter in, then I am all set for your average laptop.

I want to get away from modules such as the wireless router. If I go comercial, it is going to be near impossible to get the routers I need. They go out of fassion, they are hard work to get to the stage where thay will work, they are more expensive. Eliminating the router has been a good decision. Instead of a funny looking module, I can have a professional looking box with a custom built board. The only modules i can't get away from are the HopeRF modules. I don't have the skills, tools, or know how to build my own wireless units to the caliber of the professionally made ones. Luck for me they are very small boards with a rubber duck antenna attached.

I need to think of a storage and retrival method. That is the next step on the hardware side of things in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment