Monday, November 16, 2009

New Plan

AVRs are hard. Coming from a PICAXE background they are hard. Development time with a PICAXE was a few minutes to a few days. I still have only managed basic tasks with AVRs that took minutes on a PICAXE.

So, I have decided to build the system with PICAXE, and replace them with AVRs. What this will mean is I have a working system online, can easily add features, and not spend all my time learning. AFTER I have a working system, I will then try copy it with a bunch of ATmega48s. After replicating the circuit on a breadboard, I will order a collection of SMD parts, etch a board, then solder together a nice small finished product.

Basically, I will get a system online, and then take my time with the AVRs. Each unit will be done as standalone - I will replace individual components, and keep communications protocols the same. Once I have a fully operational AVR system, adding new features (software I might add) shouldn't be too much of a task.

I spend a bunch of time working on an AVR project, and don't get very far. It took me a weekend (on and off) to get a HopeRF -> AVR -> 16x2 Character LCD. This in PICAXE would have been a simple excercize, but for AVR it meant learning how to interface the LCD and the USART. Both very simple on the PICAXE.

I have big plans for microLOG =)

No comments:

Post a Comment